Strawberry is a widely grown hybrid species of the genus Fragaria collectively known as the strawberries which are cultivated worldwide for their fruit.
The fruit is widely appreciated for it’s characteristics aroma,bright red colour, juicy texture and sweetness.However the fruit has several nutritional benefits in our bodies including:
1. Preventing heart diseases .Eating strawberries can help prevent heart diseases due to their high polyphenols content. It has been linked to lower risk of a type of heart attack known as myocardial infarction.
2. Preventing stroke.It contains antioxidants like quercetin,kaemferol and anthocyanins which moderately reduces the risk of stroke.
3. Guard against cancer.The powerful antioxidants in strawberries may work against free radicals.
4. Lower blood pressure.Due to their high potassium content, strawberries might provide benefits for people who have a raised risk of high blood pressure by helping to offset the effects of sodium in the body.
5. Eases constipation.Eating fruits that are high in water content and fiber can help hydrate the body and maintain regular bowel movements.
6. Diabetes.The substantial fibre content of the berries helps to regulate blood sugar levels and keep it stable by avoiding extreme highs and lows.
7. Nutrition value.Strawberries are rich in vitamin C, potassium,folic acid and fibre. There are all essential nutrients that support the body’s daily functioning.
However consuming too much can be harmful to people who’s kidneys are not fully functional for it can lead to hyperkalemia or high potassium levels which can lead to heart palpitations and vomiting.