President Muhammad Buhari has said that the withdrawal of military from areas where peace had been restored is to allow them focus on their primary duty of defending the nation against external aggression while it is the duty of the police to handle internal security since Nigeria is not at war.
In a statement released by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu on Friday, reacting to the concerns and appeals from governors and community leaders over the proposed withdrawal of military.
He reassured Nigerians that withdrawal of the military will not be done in a manner that will expose communities to more risks of attacks.
He said the withdraw exercise will be gradual and carefully planned, not abrupt or arbitrary to jeopardize the success already recorded by the military.
He urged Nigerians, especially public affairs analysts, to carefully study the statement following a security council meeting with service chiefs that the withdrawal of troops will be done after an “assessment” to determine areas where peace had returned to enable civil authorities assume full control.
“It is determined that the withdrawal will not in any way jeopardize peace already achieved, the military pull out will be in a careful and gradual way. You don’t need to worry. We will not expose our people and their communities to harm or danger.
“The administration will not abandon citizens in need of protection. The Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps will support the police to provide internal security. When it is time to withdraw, nothing will be rushed,’’ he added.