Scores of Nigerians have taken to social media to register their displeasure over the Nigerian High Commission building was demolished in Accra City, Ghana on Friday night. According to a Ghanaian local media, JoyNews reported that unknown armed men invaded and demolished the structure which was under construction. The building according to Nigerian authorities was to serve as staff and visitors quarters.
The action has since generated enormous reaction from Nigerian citizens. According to a resident of Bauchi State in Nigeria, Abubakar Salihu who spoke with our Correspondent said, other small African countries have turned Nigeria, giant of Africa to a wounded lion. “They (African nations) know the weakness of our leaders, they are so weak. How can a country do that to United States of America?”
“Many Nigerians have been maimed while scores were killed in South Africa’s Xenophobic attacks, nothing concrete was done. Now, Ghana is doing its own. Remember, hundreds of shops belonging to our brothers were shutdown last year in Ghana, what has Nigeria done?”
Also, Ibrahim Mohammed, a civil servant and social commentator urged the two countries to urgently investigate the action and assured Nigerian Nationals in Ghana of their safety as well as their property. Nigeria’s Foreign Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama has also reacted on his Twitter handle on Sunday, he said “We strongly condemn two outrageous criminal attacks in Accra, #Ghana, on a residential building in our diplomatic premises by unknown persons in which a bulldozer was used to demolish the building.
“We are engaging the Ghanaian Government and demand urgent action to find the perpetrators and provide adequate protection for Nigerians and their property in Ghana.”
Also, in its reaction, Ghanaian Government through a statement from Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration said “It has come to the attention of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration that unidentified individuals had allegedly breached the premises of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra and demolished its property under construction around 10.30am, on Friday June 19, 2020.
“Accordingly, investigations are ongoing to unravel the facts of the matter and bring the perpetrators to book. Meanwhile, the government of Ghana has beefed up security at the said facility and the situation is under control.”